Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Rhubarb ginger sorbet for summer

I remember the first time I tried rhubarb is at my in-laws' home, my mother-in-law likes making rhubarb tart for us. It's acidic like lemon and I like it :) My father-in-law likes making rhubarb ginger jam, which is so so delicious!

Since I am not very familiar with how to cook it, plus I have never seen them in the supermarket, I have never tried any rhubarb recipe.
Recently I found them sold in the supermarket, I want to make some sorbet for the hot weather (yay finally!)



I love the combination of rhubarb and ginger, they are perfect match!

Ingredients
3 1/2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb stalks (4-5)*
1 2/3 cups sugar
2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger - not too much otherwise it will cover the flavor of rhubarb
2tsp orange zest**
1/4tsp salt
2 1/2 cups water

2tbsp corn syrup/honey

*Do not use any leaves - they are poisonous!!
** lemon zest is good too

Instructions
1. In a big pot, put all the ingredients and bring to boil

2. Lower the heat to low, simmer and covered for 5mins
Note: Rhubarb gets soft after 5mins
Turn off the heat, cool down until it's warm

3. Pour the mixture into the food processor - ideally pour the rhubarb piece and the ginger pieces without juice into the food processor and blend it first, then add in juice, corn syrup or honey, blend it until smooth

4. If you do not like to chew any pieces, sieve the mixture (I didn't do this because I like some pieces to chew)
Let it cool down completely

5. Process the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions
Notes: It is normal that the sorbet is rather soft right after you stop the machine, if you like it to be firmer, place the sorbet in a covered container and freeze it for several hours

When you take the sorbet out from the freezer, leave it in the room temperature to soften before you serve

Enjoy!

No comments: