Friday, January 31, 2014

Idea for breakfast: Corn bread - recipe & corn meal vs corn flour


My American friend stayed at my home for a while, one day she made me a corn bread. She said it is typical American food. 

She asked me to try - wow, it's wonderful! 
It is served hot, the texture is spongy. She recommended me to put butter and then honey on it. It is perfect for breakfast!

She said it can be eaten during a meal, like spaghetti, noodle, rice... What a fantastic discovery!

Unfortunately, we cannot find cornmeal in France. The only way to get it is to have friends brought it from the US. :(

Comparison between cornmeal & corn flour


So I tried to use the corn flour (yellow in color), you can buy it in bio (organic) shop.

When I finished cut it into piece, it looks almost the same as the one with cornmeal. 




Right: corn flour







However, when I taste it, it tastes the same but the texture is much finer than the cornmeal. 

The reason is that corn flour is much finer than cornmeal.




Left: cornmeal







Recipe
1-1/4cups all purpose flour
3/4cup corn meal or corn flour
1/4cup sugar
2tsp baking powder
1cup skim milk
1/4cup vegetable oil
2 egg whites or 1 beaten egg => I always use 1 beaten egg
Optional: 1/2tsp salt => usually I don't add it

Instruction
1. Pre-heat your oven to 200°c
2. Combine all dry ingredients, mix it
3. Stir in milk, oil and egg, mix it until the dry ingredients are moistened
4. Line a baking sheet or grease the pan, then pour the mixture to the pan
5. Bake 20-25mins or until light golden brown.

Enjoy!

No comments: