Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Floating island/ île flottant recipe with custard sauce recipe

I have the recipe of île flottant for long long long time, given by my lovely friend, but always didn't have a chance to try it! Now I have one because I used the left-over egg white from making the dinner roll (click to get the recipe) hehe!

In the recipe it requires 6 egg white but I have only 3 so I divide the recipe into half.


Ingredients
*I used 3" deep X 6" diameter pan

Custard sauce
3 egg yolks
150g sugar
1/2 L milk
1/2 tbsp corn starch
lemon zest


Egg white mixture
3 egg whites
pinch of salt
50g icing sugar



Instructions
A. Custard sauce
1. In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolk with sugar until the color looks lighter, then add corn starch & lemon zest, mix well

2. In a sauce pan, boil milk until there is steam. Take off from heat, pour the milk gently and little by little to the mixture of step 1.
Beat the mixture at the same time while you are pouring the milk
Note: I used kitchen aid to help so that I can turn on the motor to mix the mixture while I pour the hot milk

3. Pour the whole mixture back to the sauce pan, stir the mixture under low fire, to prevent the corn starch being cooked. The mixture should become thicker and thicker while you stir it all the time

4. When it becomes thick enough - when you use a wooden spoon to stir it, the custard sauce will have stirred mark => that means it is ready

B. Egg white
Optional step to start: In a pan, caramelize the sugar & water mixture, then pour into a deep pan
Note: I omitted this step 

1. Pre-heat the oven at 180°c.
Whip the egg whites with pinch of salt, then add sugar & continue to whip until stiff

2. Transfer the egg white mixture into the caramelized pan.
Bake it "bain-marie"* for 20 mins.
"bain-marie" means to put a larger shallow pan with water, then put the egg white pan in this shallow pan

C. Serving
Remove the egg white from the mould delicately. Serve egg white with the custard sauce

Enjoy!

No comments: