Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Chinese dumpling recipe - filling & sauce

 As I posted the dumpling dough the day before yesterday, now I'm posting the filling & the sauce. 

Actually I think the quantity & variety of the filling can be adjusted, personally, I like more garlic.
Don't underestimate the importance of a good sauce, I think it is important, so better make a tasty one.




FILLING
Ingredients (you can adjust ingredients and quantity) - portion for 1pound dumpling dough:
350g minced pork (I prefer to smash it at home with the food processor)
5cup chopped cabbage*
raw chopped shrimp (optional)
5 cloves chopped garlic
1 tbsp soya sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sesame oil

*Add 1/4tbsp salt in the cabbage & let it stand for 10 mins, it will be dehydrated and the yield will become about 2cups.

Instructions:
1. You can either use a knife or use a food processor to chop the pork, cabbage, shrimp and garlic

2. In a large mixing bowl, mix the minced pork with cabbage & shrimp, mix in garlic, soya sauce, salt and oil

How to FOLD the dumplings?
There are many ways to do that, I found a funny video on 7 ways to fold the dumpling.




SAUCE
Ingredients:
1/3 cup soya sauce
2 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar*

Optional:
1/8 cup sugar
3 tsp chili oil (adjust the quantity if you can't eat too spicy!!)
1 tbsp finely shredded fresh ginger

Mix everything together.

*Note: I didn't add sugar but I added less rice vinegar so you can adjust the quantity written here

Enjoy!

No comments: