Monday, July 21, 2014

Chinese dumpling dough recipe

Last weekend I just looked through recipes to make dumpling dough and I tried one, which is simple. I don't need to use water to close the edge of the dough, I just simply press the edge and it sticks well. Can't wait to share with you all!

I remembered the first time I made dumplings (years ago), I made the dough super thick, which tasted like bread with meat inside... it was awful... After I learnt to make different desserts especially tarts, now I feel more confident to try again to make the dumpling dough!

So now whenever I want to eat dumplings, I can make some hehe! Don't need to wait to go to Chinese supermarket to buy the ready made dough.

I like the explanation of Chow about dumpling dough:
Asian wheat flour wrappers may be made with cold or hot water — the temperature is traditionally dictated by the cooking method. Boiled dumplings are said to require thicker skins made from cold-water dough in order to withstand the pressures of boiling, whereas panfried and steamed dumplings require thinner skins made from hot-water dough for their gentler cooking processes.







Ingredients - portion about 1 pound (= about 40 dumplings)*
2 cups All-purpose flour
3/4cup just-boiled water
Note: Just-boiled water means when you boil the water, turn off the heat and after the bubbling action subsides. Use the water within 2 mins.

*I used 1/2 portion and I made 20 dumplings.

Instructions:
1. You can use either food processor or kitchen aid. Put flour into the mixing bowl, turn the machine on. (If you use kitchen aid, use flat beater)

2. Pour just-boiled water little by little, mix the dough until it becomes a ball. 

3. Put the dough on a slightly-floured working surface, knead the dough for 30 second. The dough should be smooth and quite elastic. When you press the dough, your finger print will be lightly remained.

4. Put your dough in a ziplog bag or air tight container for at least 15 mins up to 2 hours. 

You can either:
a/ use it immediately, or 
b/ wrap the dough and put it in the fridge overnight and use it the next day - take it out earlier so that the dough will return to room temperature

To make the round dough
Option 1. Easy way - Roll out the dough into thin layer on the floured working surface. 


Use a big cookie cutter to cut the round shape - exactly the same size of each dough

Option 2. Traditional way - Divide the dough into 40 portions, roll each dough into ball shape and then roll the dough out against yourself.

IMPORTANT: You will always need some flour on the working surface to avoid sticking the dough on it.

Next time I will post the ingredients & sauce used.

No comments: