Thursday, September 3, 2015

Fried Savoy cabbage with bacon

I feel so thankful about my life in Belgium, we meet very nice people here. They are very friendly and generous!

Dark green vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, etc. are good for fighting against cancer, also cabbage contains lots of fibers

My Dutch teacher has a large garden with different vegetables and fruits, also herbs! She gave me a super big savoy cabbage, I don't know how to cook with it as I have never tried to make it.

I found a recipe, it is a British dish, simple but surprisingly delicious, even with simple seasoning. Actually it tastes like Chinese vegetables haha. 

The cabbage is sweet and soft, unlike other cabbages, my husband and I both like it ;)


Ingredients
1 savoy cabbage

4tbsp olive oil
4 cloves chopped garlic
100g bacon (I used smoked turkey)

salt & pepper

Instructions
1. Remove the dark outer leaves, cut out the thick stem
Cut the cabbage in half, then into quarters
Remove the core, chop the quarters up into smaller pieces

2. In a large pot, boil the cabbage for 10mins, be careful, not too long, because you will fry it after!

3. On a pan, heat up oil and garlic, add in bacon, fry a bit until the bacon becomes golden brown

4. Add in cabbage, salt & pepper, stir it & cover the lid
Let it cook for 10mins

Enjoy!

No comments: