Thursday, February 19, 2015

Glutinous rice cake/ nian gao to celebrate Chinese new year

Happy Chinese new year of goat! I decide to make some Chinese traditional cake for the celebration, it is the first time I make nian gao :)

Actually I got this recipe from a sister at church few years ago, I haven't tried it yet. I have had some glutinous rice flour in the kitchen for several months, now it is the good opportunity to use them up!

I like this recipe because I am too lazy to steam the cake haha... I can bake this cake in the oven :)





Ingredients
3 eggs
1-1.5cups sugar - I used 1cup
125g magarine or 3/4cup vegetable oil - I used vegetable oil
1tsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla extract 
450g glutinous rice flour
2.5-3cups milk*

Red bean paste about 500g (according to your need)
Optional: 2tbsp black or white sesame

*The bigger the egg, the more the milk you use

Instructions
1. Preheat the oven at 180°c
Whisk the egg, add in sugar, magarine/oil, baking powder & vanilla extract. Mix well

2. Add in flour & milk little by little, to avoid forming the lumps. Mix well

3. Grease the shallow mold (either rectangular or round), pour the mixture into the pan
Note: Why shallow? Because it cooks well more evenly everywhere and especially in the middle 
If you use a deep pan, you will need to add extra 10mins for the 1st bake or until the cake looks solid

4. Bake for 25mins until the cake look a bit solid

5. Take it out from the oven, scrap the red bean paste on the top
Then sprinkle sesame
Put the cake back to the oven to bake for another 25mins

Coconut version:
If you don't have any red bean paste at home, don't worry, you can replace it by using 1 cup coconut powder, sprinkle the powder on the top after the 1st bake

Enjoy!

No comments: