Monday, February 17, 2014

What mistakes to avoid when we make meringue?

Today I tried to make some meringue, I do it as usual - every time is successful! 

However, when I check the oven after 45 mins, I found that my meringues are deformed.... :(

So I check on internet to see what happened... and here are the points to notice:



Egg white
- When you separate egg white & yolk, ensure the egg white consists no egg yolk => it can affect the beating up process

- Let the egg white sits at the room temperature about 30mins before beating: egg white at room temperature expands in higher volume

Sugar
Better to use icing sugar, which is easier to dissolve in the egg white

Equipment
Do not under-estimate the equipment that you use!
- Using copper/glass/metal bowl other than plastic bowl, ideal: copper 
 => help to produce the fluffy & stable foam
Note: I use stainless steel bowl and it works well

- Before using it, make sure the bowl is clean, without any grease or fat 
*Reason: in plastic bowl, the fat may be retained in the scratched mark/gap
 => use salt with vinegar/ lemon juice & rinse with water

Weather condition
Humidity can take longer time to dry the meringue and keep it in dry condition 
 => avoid making meringue in rainy days



Reference:
http://www.marthastewart.com/266449/meringue-guaranteeing-success

No comments: