Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Carrot cake - spongy texture


Honestly carrot cake is not my favorite cake, I don't even like carrot, as my mother always said it yellows our skin... anyway, when I was cutting the carrots for making food for my cats, I was thinking how can I use up these carrots quickly? I have a sister who just made it in the morning, when my husband came home, I asked him if he likes carrot cake, my husband said he loves it, especially with icing on it. Okay... so I try my 1st carrot cake.




There are lots of carrot cake recipes on google, but I chose this one because they use brown sugar, nutmeg, I think it is great combination with cinnamon. The cake looks darker since brown sugar is used.
It smells so good in the kitchen when I bake it and the texture is very spongy and soft!





It's nice too to top with caramel popcorn :)

Ingredients
175g brown sugar
175ml vegetable oil
3 eggs
140g grated carrots
100g raisins (I didn't use this time as I have none at home)
grated zest of 1 large orange
175g flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1tsp cinnamon powder
1/2tsp nutmeg powder* 

*if you have fresh, grate it - it gives better flavor, if you don't have any at home, it is ok!

Frosting:
175g icing sugar
2tbsp orange juice/lemon juice

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 180°c
In a mixing bowl, mix sugar, oil & eggs

2. Stir in grated carrot, raisins & grated orange

3. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder & nutmeg powder

4. Pour the mixture into the mould - I suggest using the mould you can fill the pan with at least 2inches high, so that you can feel the spongy texture
Bake for 45mins or until it is golden - insert a knife in the mixture, if it comes out clean = ready!
when it's cooled down, put the cake on a serving plate

5. In a bowl, beat the icing sugar and juice, press the lumps if there is any so that the frosting becomes smooth, it should be a bit runny
Pour the frosting on the top of the cake

Enjoy!

No comments: